Director of User Experience
WordStream is looking for a User Experience leader to bring customer empathy, customer inspiration and creative drive to not just our product team, but WordStream as a whole. This position calls for an inspiring leader with a collaborative spirit and the ability to strategize and supervise creative and innovative cross-platform solutions through design-thinking philosophy. The right candidate has led and developed teams of 6+ designers, pushing their creativity as well as developing their skills. To succeed in this role, you’ll draw on your product design experience, technical knowledge, execution rigor, creative-problem solving skills and people and process management experience. You must be steeped in user research methods and employ creative ways to ensure the voice of the customer permeates everything you do. You must thrive off customer inspiration and drive the implementation of a phenomenal user experience in service of an ever more effective product. A cool head and a smart sense of humor wouldn’t hurt either.
WordStream is an industry leading software-as-a-service (SaaS) product company voted #1 in customer satisfaction in the search advertising sector. Our purpose is to help SMB’s succeed and grow by helping SMB’s across our country and the world get the most out of their digital marketing dollars. Connected to some of the largest companies in the world, Wordstream is partnered with Google, Bing and Facebook to help our customers market their businesses. WordStream also strives to make a difference in the lives of the people in our community. We are committed to corporate social responsibility and believe that it is our duty to give back through volunteering and charitable donations. If you are driven by taking action, winning together and believe transparency is the only way to be, we want to hear from you!
A little about the job:
- You will help define and drive the future of WordStream design, by identifying and setting product strategy design, and inspiring teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible.
- Caring more about the outcomes we drive than the features we build, you and your team create experiences that drive measurable impact for our customers and our business including, but not limited to, improvement in customer satisfaction, product usage, and customer life.
- Create a culture that strives to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to yield insights that inform product strategy and guide the design of the experiences we create.
- Identify opportunities for innovation, insight, and improvement; advocate for the efforts of your team and collaborate across WordStream to make our products better.
- Build a high performing team by selecting the best talent with a range of diverse backgrounds and experiences and giving team members responsibility and accountability, stepping back and allowing them to do their work.
- Identifying, mentoring and developing UX talent to empower the team to stay informed of changes in the industry, constantly learn and grow as designers.
- Spearhead an unrelenting drive for customer empathy and to be customer inspired and obsessed in everything we design
- Build relationships across the organization in all departments to drive user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive and well-informed.
A little about you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Interaction, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years experience in user experience and user interface design including user research methods for software products.
- Deep experience in the deployment of technology transformation solutions, integrating across multiple customer segments.
- Innovation: customer solution oriented innovation mindset to lead and execute on innovative ideas.
- Customer centric mindset: having the mindset and experience to understand exactly what customers need and want.
- People success: driven to grow team members skill sets and careers
- Demonstrated experience with Agile methodology, including Sprint planning, backlog grooming and Agile artifact creation
- Extraordinary presentation skills and strong communication skills
- The ability to communicate effectively across all levels within the organization, including CEO/President
- Customer inspired and love of small businesses
A little about our many benefits...
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Health Savings Account (HSA) & Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan & Company Match
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Unlimited PTO (Trust and accountability-based)
- Parental Leave (PPL), Family Medical Leave (FML), and Adoption Assistance
- Short Term & Long Term Disability (STD, LTD)
- Pet Insurance, Accident Insurance,and Critical Illness Insurance
- Donation Matching and Volunteer Matching
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Discounts: Auto Insurance, Student Loan Consolidation Options, Cell Phone Carriers, Vacations, and Restaurants
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection Plans
- Wellbeing & Wellness (Gym membership discounts, online wellness program membership)
- Monthly company breakfasts
- Standing desks, cold brew on tap, company-sponsored community events, and an A+ office setup
A little about WordStream and our market space...
Located in the heart of Boston’s Back Bay, our open workspace lends itself to cross-departmental collaboration (and a fair bit of fun, too). The high-energy, innovative environment has helped us develop a suite of cloud-based tools--which enable ad management and optimization across Google search, shopping, and display; Facebook; Instagram; and Bing--capable of meeting the changing needs of our customers.
Boston Business Journal, MITX, Inc. Magazine, and countless other organizations--both regional and national--have recognized WordStream as one of the country’s fastest growing companies and an exceptional place to work: And we’re just getting started.
Interested in contributing to industry-shaping innovation, enjoying a positive workspace, earning competitive pay, and advancing your career? Become part of the WordStream team today!
WordStream is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.